Red Nose Day is right on the nose with a month of fun challenges
Cure Kids’ annual Red Nose Day returns this September and aims to be bigger than ever, with Kiwis invited to enjoy a range of activities throughout the month to raise more than $1 million towards vital research to improve, extend and save the lives of Kiwi kids.
Traditionally Red Nose Day fundraising has been centred around one day, however the Red Nose Appeal will run throughout the month of September allowing New Zealanders to get even more involved – from hosting mufti days, raffles and morning teas, to taking on fundraising challenges – in the build-up to the iconic day itself, Red Nose Day, on Friday 28 September.
“Red Nose Day holds a special place in the hearts of many Kiwis, many whom will remember the first one held back in 1989,” says Cure Kids CEO Frances Benge. “This year we’re planning to make the Red Nose Appeal one of the biggest yet to help fund high impact medical research by experts committed to actively finding cures and better treatments for serious childhood conditions.”
Funds raised from the Red Nose Appeal will go towards important areas of child health, including stillbirth, cystic fibrosis, child cancers, obesity, autism spectrum disorders, asthma, inherited heart conditions, mental health, infectious diseases, epilepsy and type 1 diabetes.
Schools, communities and businesses around the country are invited to think creatively when it comes to initiating fundraising activities this year. From hosting an event to selling homemade goods or setting a challenge and asking friends and family to donate in support, there are plenty of ways to get involved.
Those keen to don a novelty red nose can head to Briscoes, Rebel Sports stores and Columbus Coffee cafes in September to make a $3 donation for one of the limited-edition noses, designed by Kiwi kids.
Back for its second year, the Cure Kids Red Nose Day SkyJump challenge is taking place on Friday 28 September at Auckland’s Sky Tower. Businesses can rally to raise $5000 for the Red Nose Appeal and nominate their boss to take the plunge and join Cure Kids CEO Frances Benge for the challenge.
Other Red Nose activities include a Qantas Ball Pitt at Westfield Albany from 28-30 September, with those that donate $3 going in the draw to win return flights to Australia, and Botany Town Centre will host Crack the Code by All Secure Self Storage on 29 September, with prizes up for grabs.
Cure Kids will also host their annual Red Nose Gala dinner, a ticketed public event, at Pullman Hotel in Auckland on 14 September, featuring entertainment and a three-course meal as well as a presentation into some of the latest groundbreaking research into the health conditions affecting Kiwi kids.
“We’re delighted so many good sorts are signing up to take part in this year’s Red Nose Appeal to help lead to more incredible breakthroughs in medical research,” says Benge. “I’m particularly looking forward to meeting the other people nominated for the SkyJump. I jumped last year and it was one of the scariest things I’ve done, but no comparison to what families of children with life-threatening conditions experience.”
For more information about how to join in the Red Nose Appeal see below or visit www.rednoseday.co.nz.
Red Nose Appeal 2018: Ways to get involved
Share a Red Nose Selfie:
- Simply take a selfie or video of yourself wearing a red nose and share it using the hashtags #rednosedayselfie and #rednosedaynz
- Tag @curekidscharity (Facebook), @curekidsnz (Instagram and Twitter).
- Tag your friends and ask them to share their red nose photo too.
- Link to www.rednoseday.co.nz or your personal fundraising page and encourage Kiwis to donate.
- If you share on Instagram, include the donate link in your bio, or use the call to action; ‘Text NOSE to 933 to donate $3’.
- OR; get a digital nose – check out our Facebook frames here: rednoseday.co.nz/get-social
Nominate your boss for the SkyJump:
- Simply nominate your boss to do the jump here: rednoseday.co.nz/skyjump
Attend the Red Nose Gala Dinner:
- This is being held on 14 September at Pullman Hotel in Auckland. You can purchase tickets here: curekids.org.nz/news/red-nose-day-gala-2018
Make a donation:
- Kiwis can also text ‘NOSE’ to 933 to donate $3 or make a donation online at rednoseday.co.nz
Get Red Nose Day merchandise:
- There are four different types of novelty ‘funny faced’ red noses available from Briscoes, Rebel Sport, Living & Giving and Columbus Coffee cafes, for a donation of $3 – collect one, or collect them all!
- Other Red Nose Day merchandise available includes slap bands, pins/brooches which schools and organisations can request merchandise online at rednoseday.co.nz
Set up your own fundraiser:
- Schools and workplaces can get involved by initiating or taking part in a range of fundraising activities, for more information visit rednoseday.co.nz/fundraise
- HASHTAGS: #rednosedaynz #rednosedayselfie
- FOLLOW US: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube: @CureKidsNZ @curekidscharity